The plan

Regular (ha!) updates on the latest development progress

The plan

Postby stormclouds » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:25 am

So, being new to XNA, I want to implement some basic features in a tech demo first. I'm hoping I can make a playable game out of the tech demo, albiet a basic one.

Once I'm satisfied I am capable of all the tech neccessary, I'll go ahead with a (I'm hoping) much more complex game.

These are the features I want in the tech demo:
  • Fast scrolling, massive landscape.
  • Player controls their plane, which is capable of:
  • Taking off & landing
  • Fairly realistic flight model, including stalls
  • Firing cannon & dropping bombs
  • AI moving tanks, stationary guns, buildings & planes.
  • Particle effects for flames, explosions, smoke, dust, etc.
  • Pixel perfect collision detection
  • Changing weather & time of day (i.e. day / night)

Features I'd like to add in a proper game include:

• Missions
  • Open ended play
  • Different aircraft types
  • Lots of little features, than will enrich the gameplay / game world

I've got loads of ideas here, but will only talk about them (in detail) if & when it looks like I can make them a reality.

In the next post, I'll write about where the project is at currently. I'll be sure to include lots of screenshots, to make up for a lack so far.
stormclouds
Site Admin

Re: The plan

Postby digitalni » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:44 pm

I love what you did so far and I'm really looking forward to an early beta ;)

Any books you can recommend for XNA beginners like myself? Also, what programming language are you using for this specific game?
digitalni

Re: The plan

Postby stormclouds » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:08 am

digitalni wrote:I love what you did so far and I'm really looking forward to an early beta ;)

Any books you can recommend for XNA beginners like myself? Also, what programming language are you using for this specific game?

Hi thanks for your message :)

To be honest I've never read any XNA books, so I cant really recommend any. I learnt everything I've needed to know from the helpful people at the xblig forums (check out the tutorials in the education catalog section), and also a bit of graphics stuff from Riemers XNA tutorials. I already had plenty of C# knowledge (its my day job), and I'd made games for old 16 bit computers when I was a kid, so I had some of the basics pegged already.

I dont know your situation, but I'd only bother with books if I was starting from scratch.

This game is written entirely in C#.

P.S. Keep visiting this forum for news on a beta - its a couple of months away I think!
stormclouds
Site Admin

Return to Dev Blog